Thursday, December 10, 2020

2020 Update

 Let's face it: 2020 has been a pretty sucktacular year. Thousands of people have lost friends and loved ones, most of us have had to do without celebrating birthdays, holidays, and other special events with those closest to us, and just about everyone has missed out on plans, activities, and opportunities that were looked forward to and highly anticipated. Basically, this year has been the equivalent of a Chuck Norris punch to the junk. Still, even in the midst of this dumpster fire of a year, there are always things to be thankful for, and the yearly Kanak Christmas Blog certainly should be at or near the top of your list. With that in mind, here is this year's edition:

Gene: I typically save my portion for last, but what's life without whimsy? As such, I'm saving the best for first this time around. You may remember that last year's blog announced that, at long last, I would be leaving the teaching profession to take a job with Storm Bowling Products out in Utah. Well, remember what I said about everyone losing something due to the pandemic? Well, you guessed it: that job is off the table at this point. Don't worry though; they still let me do lots of free writing work for them out of the kindness of my heart! In all seriousness though, I actually enjoy helping out their marketing team when I can. Several promotional pieces of mine are published all over the world now, particularly in the Asian market (super cool!). Closer to home I've taken a job at Iroquois West High School, a small school down in Gilman, Illinois. Teaching during COVID has been unique to say the least, but it's actually going well for me, and I'm happier in teaching than I've been since I chose to leave Central a few years back. Part of me is still disappointed at having lost out on the job with Storm due to all of this, but the silver lining is that it has allowed me to still stay here in Illinois close to the friends and family that I love the most. As such, I really can't complain. Well, I can't other than the fact that teaching actually caused me to get COVID about a month ago. Thankfully though, I came through it without too much difficulty! In any event, as Christmas approaches, I'm healthy, happy, and more contented than I've been in a while.

Angie: What is there to say about this rock star? As she always has, Angie is kicking butt and taking names both inside and outside of the classroom. She has become one of the most-liked and well-respected teachers at Bourbonnais Upper Grade Center, which is no surprise as you'd be hard-pressed to find a better teacher anywhere in the world. When she's not helping to mold the minds of America's youth, she's managing her own highly successful small business, Golden Fish Pics by Angie Kanak. She is an amazing photographer with a great reputation, which is why the rest of the family seldom sees her during the warmer months as she's constantly out shooting family sessions, senior pictures, themed events, weddings, and more. Although we'd love for her to have more free time, we're all very proud of her for turning her talent and passion into a thriving business. It just proves, yet again, that there is nothing that she can't do if she puts her mind to it.

Geno: Ah, the boy one. In many ways, he's still the same. He's still very sweet, very bright, and very emotional. Geno has always worn his emotions on his sleeve, which is a quality that can cut both ways. As is the case with most 11-year olds, there are times when his passion manifests itself in ways that he comes to regret after the fact. Still, his emotional nature is also what gives him such a big heart and so much love to share with the ones that he loves, and we wouldn't change that for the world. Once the move to Utah was postponed indefinitely, he made the decision to spend his 6th-grade year at Liberty Intermediate School in Bourbonnais. Per the usual, his grades are very good, and his teachers have nothing but nice things to say about him. Outside of school, he's preparing for his second season of travel baseball, this one with RBI Sports out of Morris. Of course, he's still dancing as well. He's taking classes at Paula Aubrey School of Dance in Bradley like he always has, but he's also taking private lessons on the side from an instructor who said that "Geno has an IT factor that you just don't see in a lot of dancers, something that could really allow him to go far in the world of dance." The skill and confidence that Geno displays while dancing is truly something special. I'm not sure that he truly understands how much courage is required to take the stage and be front and center in an auditorium filled with more than a thousand people. That would be enough to make many adults cower in fear. Not Geno. When that music comes on, his personality comes to life, and he does his thing, usually in a way that brings the crowd to its feet. Simply put: if you haven't seen him on stage, you're really missing out as he always delivers a memorable performance!

Mary: I almost can't believe that I'm writing this, but Mary is now nearly halfway done with her freshman year at Herscher High School. As has always been the case, she is keeping extremely busy. She is involved in marching band, scholastic bowl, and art club, and she'll be on the softball team as well. As you probably already guessed, most of these activities have had to be scaled back due to the pandemic. However, that doesn't mean that these groups aren't meeting, rehearsing, and practicing as much as is safely allowed. Her grades are still stellar, which is no surprise as she is still highly motivated to maintain her straight A average. In addition to school activities, Mary is still playing travel softball. However, she is no longer with the River Valley Rage organization. This summer, a local coach approached our family with an offer to have Mary join his elite-level team with the Illinois Stars. It was very difficult for Mary to leave her Rage teammates and coaches, but she knew that the opportunity was too good to pass up. The decision has proven to be good one as Mary immediately adjusted to the higher level of play, shining both at-bat and in the field. As much as we miss all of the amazing people with Rage, we are super excited to see where Mary and this amazing Illinois Stars team can go this summer. They already have their sights set on the Premier Girls' Fastpitch National Tournament in California, and based upon how they played and who they beat this Fall, there is no reason to think that this group can't compete for a national championship; they are that good. Honestly, these days, there are few things in the world that I enjoy more than watching Mary play softball. She's a very talented player and an amazing young woman with limitless potential. Like her mom, I honestly don't think that there is anything that she can't accomplish if she puts her mind to it!

                                                                            
         
Mary & Professor







            

No comments:

Post a Comment