Monday, December 5, 2022

2022 Update

Greetings,

Thank you for checking in on all-things-Kanak.  We've had a really special year, and I am excited to share the highlights with you.

Geno

Man, this kid is special: spelling bee champ, scholastic bowl whiz kid, Paula Aubry Kompany dancer, the list goes on.  One very special memory from this year is Geno's school baseball team making it to State!  Geno mostly played first base during the school season. Though they lost a one-run heartbreaker during the State quarterfinals, it was the furthest any team at Limestone Middle School had ever gone.  Even my high school kids asked about the team nearly every day.  In addition to Geno's overall success, we are much prouder of the fact that he's just a really nice kid.  He's fun to be around, and I can always count on him for a cheesy joke.  Though he looks like me, he acts and speaks just like his dad, and I couldn't be prouder.

Mary



Mary continues to wow us.  She's a wonderful student, a great athlete, and an all around open-minded, loving person.  Like her dad, anything Mary tries, she seems to pick up on.  Even though she just decided to try bowling last year, she's already averaging around 160 and improving each week. Mary may be quiet and subtle, but her personality is so unique and introspective.  Much to Mary's surprise, she was chosen by her peers to be on Homecoming court.  Even though this type of thing is WAY outside Mary's comfort zone, she handled the experience well--and I even think she may have had a bit of fun with it.  This past summer, Mary got her driver's license, which has been a huge help getting her to her many activities.  She even runs her brother places when Gene and I are busy. Even though they won't admit it, I think they actually enjoy hopping in the car and going for rides together. 
   

Big Geno




As many of you know, after twelve years, Gene was finally able to escape the classroom. After spending more than a year working as the instructional editor for Bowlers Journal International magazine, he was offered a job as a communications manager for USBC. The good news is that this time the job didn't involve relocation down to Texas; instead, he now works from home when he isn't hopping on planes to cover events for Team USA, the PBA Tour, and the PWBA Tour. His first official assignment had him working in Las Vegas for three weeks this past summer, and he spent nearly the same amount of time in Queensland, Australia, in November covering the 2022 International Bowling Federation World Cup. Although he hates being away from me and the kids, he's extremely proud of having earned the opportunity to travel the country and world covering the best bowlers on the planet. This is the happiest he's been at work in a very long time, and we're all very happy for him.  

Me

Though it took me 14 years, I am back teaching at my home school, Herscher High School.  This is my second year there (really my 7th), and it feels like I never left.  I keep myself very busy on the weekends running my photography business and attending my children's MANY activities.  I was so happy to be able to free up my schedule and take a quick road trip to Montana for my brother's wedding in September.  It was a short, but really great, trip, and I am so thankful to Jenn and Jason for giving me the opportunity to celebrate with them.  Now that Gene is traveling more, I am so grateful that Mary has her driver's license.  Gene and I celebrated our 20-year wedding anniversary this year.  I know I hear people say this a lot, but I just feel so lucky.  








No comments:

Post a Comment