Saturday, November 21, 2015

2015 Update

Happy Holidays!  




Welcome to the annual Kanak family update.  You, along with my mother-in-law (Hello, JoEllen) are the only ones that will read this, so you're pretty much part of a fairly exclusive club. So, congrats. Hold on to your hats...unless you're not wearing one, then forget it because you're going to look really stupid holding on to a pretend hat.

Mary
We are very proud of the young lady Mary is becoming.  She has grown a love for ballet, tap, and jazz.  We had to sell our livers on the black market to pay the tuition, but she adores her dance classes at Paula Aubry.  Even though I had originally put a moratorium on organized sports and activities since the soccer tantrum of 2012, we allowed Mary to play summer softball.  We were surprised at how quickly she improved and how much fun she had.  She's also a strong student, leading her class in books read.

For those of you who enjoy the Mary conversations I post on Facebook, here is one that showcases what it's like to live with Mary.
Me: Mary,  all of your pants are too short.  We need to go shopping for new ones.
Mary: Who says my pants are too short?  Society? Are you going to let society tell you how to dress me?  That's weak, mom. (Walks away shaking her head)

Mary hypothesizes that we only brought Geno into this world as a means of torturing her. She misses no opportunity to remind us "how great it was without him." She takes pride in correcting every little error he makes, insisting that she was "never that annoying."

As a whole, she's fairly unpleasant to live with: she's messy, ungrateful, sassy, rude, and neglects basic hygiene habits.  However, there's something about Mary that makes us love her, so I think we'll let her stay.









Geno
In great contrast to Mary, Geno is unfailingly kind. Geno insists on telling us he loves us 25 times a day, which is often accompanied with a hug no matter what we're doing: cooking, vacuuming, switching the laundry, sitting on the toilet, taking a shower, or sleeping.

Geno still loves Michael Jackson and hopes to become a professional dancer and song writer.  He also takes ballet and tap at Paula Aubry's where Gene and I sit every Wednesday evening among parents who feel obligated to say politically correct things to us, such as, "I think it's really cool that you put your little boy in ballet," to which I respond, "He wanted to be in ballet; he asked for it,"
to which they awkwardly offer what sounds like a condolence, "Really...that's so...cool."
 
Unlike Mary, who enjoys reading a variety of literature and burns through a book a week, Geno prefers predictability, checking the same 2-3 books out from the library every week.  I've read The Super Hero Bed Time Collection roughly 300 times.  I also know more about Michael Jackson than I ever thought I would.  We've read his biography so many times that Geno has memorized the picture captions.  I don't know if you're aware of this, but MJ's life wasn't all sequins and adoring fans. There's nothing stranger than your 6-year-old pointing to a picture of a 7-year-old Michael Jackson and saying, "Though young Jackson had all the riches he wanted, what he really needed was a father."

Geno enjoys school and seems to be doing well.  His take-home folder comes home with a plethora of papers with stars and seasonally-appropriate stickers on them, so I say we're good. He's recently gotten really into Pokemon, so yes, he's that kid.








Gene
I am now roughly halfway through my second year of teaching at Central High School, which just happens to be the school from which Angie and all of her siblings graduated. It's very similar to my previous school, but now I only have to drive 25 minutes each way instead of 50-55. Another development is my transfer from the world of baseball to fast-pitch softball. That's right; I'm the head softball coach for both Central High's varsity team and Nash Middle School's team. Teaching and coaching in a small town certainly has its ups and downs, but I like it more than I don't.

Outside of school, things have stayed pretty much the same. When I'm not spending time with the family, I can be found at the gym, on the softball field, or in a bowling center. In the grand scheme of life, none of those pursuits means a whole heck of a lot, but all three keep me happy. On the lanes, I've been pursuing a staff position with Brunswick, and I'm giving serious consideration to competing professionally at the regional level. On the softball field, I'm looking forward to a transition to a new tournament team this Spring/Summer. And, in the gym, I'm still all beast all the time! Long story short, at the end of the day, I haven't changed a whole lot since last year. Why mess with perfection, right?

                                               Angie
I'm in my 5th year of teaching English at Kankakee High School.  Though all teachers have bad days, I can truly say I adore KHS students.  They are worldly, sensitive, and, despite what many say about them, kind. It's hard to say what the future has in store for me, but I love my KHS students!

As many of you know, I assist Deena Cassady with the KHS drama program. Deena and I learned today that our fall one-act was selected to perform at Illinois Theatre Fest!  Working in a school that idolizes athletes drains on me at times, but earning the honor of being chosen for this festival eases the frustration.  With an attendance of over 4,000, our students will finally get to perform to a crowd size that matches their talent.
Gene and I were able to take a trip to Europe this summer with a group of KHS staff, parents, and students. We had a wonderful time!  It truly was a trip of a life-time.















No comments:

Post a Comment