Summer started off with a visit from Papa and Grandma. It was a short visit, but we managed to fit in a Rangers game. The purpose of the visit was to provide Mary, Geno, and me with transportation back to Illinois for a 10 day visit. While in Illinois, we got to visit with a lot of family and friends. One of the highlights for me was being able to participate in Relay for Life. My family's team "Friends and Family" won a Gold fundraising award. Their fundraising was a wonderful tribute to my Aunt Rose, who lost her battle to cancer in February. Rose's presence was felt throughout the whole day, especially during the survivor lap. I was so moved by the day that I put together a tribute video that is linked on my fb page.
As usual, our trip to Il was filled with play, play, play for Mary. She played hard with all of her Il friends and cousins, especially Ella. She also enjoyed her special visit with Nana and Pappy. Geno also took advantage of his trip by forming a special bond with Papa. You could bet wherever Papa was, Geno wouldn't be more than 3 steps behind. It was hard to return to Texas after having so much fun, but we desperately missed Daddy, so we flew back on June 23.
Geno got his eagerly anticipated ear tubes on July 2. Our hope is that he'll start talking now that he can hear us clearly. Mary was already speaking full sentences by the time she was 15 months old, so it's so different for Gene and I to not be able to talk with Geno. Unlike Mary, however, Geno has picked up a lot of sign language. We typically only have to use a sign 2-3 times before Geno picks up on it. Even if he decides not to use it, he still understands what the sign means, which really helps us communicate with him. After his surgery, the doctor came to the waiting area to discuss how everything went. He told us that there was "TONS" of thick fluid behind his drum, but that it all seemed to be draining now that the tubes are in place.
This summer has been especially great because both Gene and I are home with the kids. Gene left his job at BPAA a bit earlier than necessary (partly by choice and partly not). He's getting his first taste of life as a teacher with summers off. His presence will especially be helpful when I have my surgery on July 20. I will need a ton of help. One wonderful aspect of my surgery is that people are coming to visit in order to help. My mother-in-law, JoEllen, has already booked a flight for July 18. We are so excited for her visit. Mary and I talk about all the fun we're going to have. My mother and sister, Terra, are also planning trips down to help out. We can't wait!!!
I am still fundraising for the 3-day Breast Cancer Walk. So far, I've raised $1800! I only have $500 to go. My biggest donation so far has been from my parents; they gave me $500! I have also received other very generous donations, including $200 from my Uncle Raymond and a $150 check from my brother. Along with many more. Thanks to everyone who has been so generous to this cause.
Another summer highlight: Mary has started her ballet and tap classes. As expected, she loves it!
Well, that's it for now. The Kanaks wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July!
No comments:
Post a Comment